Why IoT projects are so hard
Because they are made up from hardware, firmware, communication and useful functions for the users.
Moreover, we know logic and useful functions cannot just “live in the cloud”.
They should be implemented “on the field”, near to whatever relevant is happening out there:
- to benefit from real-time high frequency data captured by sensors
- to build reliable solutions for critical industrial applications
- to reduce action latency and bandwidth consumption
- to make the data actionable even if the connection is discontinuous
But maintaining and changing useful functions while they live on the field, raises important issues:
- what happens if the device won’t reboot?
- what happens if firmware is corrupted during transfer?
Ultimately we know that an IoT project will stuck against firmware issues as soon as it matures from a prototype to a critical application and … putting it on the cloud won’t just be enough.
And even if a prototype is enough … well you’ll need to get involved with firmware development anyway.
Why Open Source
open source plays a key role in building a truly interoperable IoT solution
- and we know that any really useful IoT solution will have to be interoperable
open source enables collaboration and collective creativity
- on IOTTLY’s own development
- on IoT projects built with IOTTLY
open source puts the user and his freedom at the center of sw dev
- but freedom is not real if the tools are left inaccessible
- and so we are committed in contributing a step forward in the direction of accessibility
“Not only cloud”
- freedom to use IOTTLY on our cloud, or to deploy it on your cloud, or install it wherever you like (on premise)
many open source tools already exists to build IoT solutions, but:
- recurrent problem of choosing the right ones and “glue” them together
- IoT scenario is generating new tech issues which are not addressed by existing tools
- elegantly orchestrating existing tools together
- address original IoT issues developing new specific components
- ease of use